Reply to post:

US and China wave white flags, hit pause button on trade war

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

In today's hyper-partisan atmosphere they will probably only get 2-4 republicans.

In the Senate, voting to remove? That seems unlikely. Every prediction I've seen is that no Republican senators will vote for removal, and some Democrats may vote against. The two current Independent senators caucus with Democrats. I certainly don't see Sanders voting against removal. King is harder to call; he's a moderate, in terms of the current Senate's makeup, and might actually weigh the charges and evidence rather than simply voting party line.

Personally, I think the Democrat strategy is to lose the vote in the Senate anyway. That will help motivate their base. If Trump were removed from office, it would make him a martyr to his base, and position Pence to run in his stead next year and gain from the "widow effect".

Frankly, I think it's the Republican Party (in the most brutal and callous realpolitik calculation) which is being done a disservice by their senators here. They could really cement their control of the electorate by having them vote for removal. But that would cost the sitting Republican senators personally, and few to none of them are willing to lose their position for their party.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon