Reply to post: Quality ?

Wham, bam, thank you scram button: Now we have to go all MacGyver on the server room

Pascal Monett Silver badge

Quality ?

Their only quality is that they semi-prevent the drawer from being opened when it is "locked".

A while ago I was consulting in a company that worked with vast open space offices. We're talking a hundred people in the same room, working on a hundred desks. I was obviously told, on my first day, that the desk had to be clean every evening - papers (and valuables) were to be put in the drawers.

I settled in and my neighbor wasted no time in getting me up to speed on the clean desk policy. It would seem that it was common knowledge that there were only three different lock types, meaning the key on my drawer could open at least a third of all desks present. On top of that, he showed me a trick to get the top drawer open : some desks didn't have the desktop strongly fitted to the drawer section, and if you could lift it just a few millimeters, you could just slide the top drawer open like that.

I dutifully put my papers in the desk, but my personal belongings stayed with me for the duration of that contract.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon