Reply to post: Re: Shaken

Attention! Very important science: Tapping a can of fizzy beer does... absolutely nothing

EVP

Re: Shaken

This is an interesting topic. I argued with my whisky-loving friends that if glass bottle can alter taste of whisky. After a lengthy search on the topic, I finally found a study which confirmed that whisky reacts with glass in a way which can be measured and can potentially alter the taste. It takes 20-30 years to have any significant effect, though, so letting Famous Grouse to rest one more year won’t make any significant change in its taste :)

What is even more interesting is that if you immerse a gold ring in distilled water (controlled one) for 20 minutes, a measurable amount of gold dissolves into the water. The researchers’ goal was to demonstrate that significant, albeit small amounts, of precious metals dissolve into sewage water and it makes economically sense to extract those traces of metal from sewage. After reading about the study, I won’t ever again dismiss anyone claiming that she/he tastes metal in a food or beverage.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon