Reply to post:

When is an electrical engineer not an engineer? When Arizona's state regulators decide to play word games

Kiwi Silver badge
WTF?

When was the last time you had it done for less?

Not too many weeks back. Was so trivial it wasn't worth charging extra for. Run some power, add a regulator and a few other bits, extending the length of the board slightly (ok, the actual circuit itself was a cut'n'paste from a previous job with a little bit of changing to make the final design aesthetically pleasing to me). Litterally ring ring "Hello?" "Hi, so-and-so here, just wondering if you could add a 5v output to the unit?" "Would a USB socket do?" "Yes, that'd be great! How much extra?" "For you, no charge.".

In a case like this I'd've suggested exactly that, chuck a buck charger on there (never really sure if they call them "buck" because of function or cost!) and be done with it.

I've also built a number of projects where I've tossed in a cheap USB charger socket for voltage regulation. They're so cheap and readily available. And the circuitry is so simple, hence why I also cannot see the $800 as anything less than theft.

The guy deserves all he gets for ripping off his clients, and clearly does not have a shred of integrity.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020