Reply to post: Re: Re:software engineer

When is an electrical engineer not an engineer? When Arizona's state regulators decide to play word games

martinusher Silver badge

Re: Re:software engineer

>BTW, don't the US also call a Train Driver an Engineer? I assume there is an exemption for this.

If you've even got up close and personal with a steam locomotive you'd realize that these things aren't vehicles in a conventional sense -- you're perched on this contraption that has very peculiar ideas about what makes it go and what makes it stop, a thing that has countless bearings and fiddly bits that need constant attention and has innumerable ways to crash, fail catastrophically or even explode. They also have individual characteristics, no two are exactly alike. You really need to understand how they work to operate them so I'll give the 'railroad engineer' a pass on this one. (Its worth noting that people who drive modern light rail or commuter trains tend to be called 'operators'.)

BTW -- I think 'the romance of steam' is vastly overrated. And that takes into account that most US steam locomotives were oil fired so you were at least relieved of the chore of shovelling tons of coal into the firebox while its rattling along. (Firing a locomotive is also an art form, there's a lot more to it than just shovelling coal.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020