Reply to post: The SOLUTION to Spam/Scam Calls

Since the FCC won't act, Congress finally moves on robocalls by passing half-decent TRACED Act

Drew Scriver

The SOLUTION to Spam/Scam Calls

There is a solution to spam calls.

If enough of us simply string the scammers along by playing along it won't be long before it will no longer be cost effective.

I do this all the time when I get a spam call while driving (hands-free, of course). Spammers seem to be catching on, as they now routinely use a two-tiered system.

The first person simply screens the call. Once they get the impression the caller is gullible enough for their ploy they transfer the call to another agent.

In my experience it works best to sound like an elderly person. The scammers fall for it almost every time, and it's kind of fun - especially if you tell them a few minutes into the call (in a shaky voice, of course) that you just remembered something you heard in the news about these calls often being criminal. They tend to launch into a lengthy explanation on how they're fully trustworthy.

Then you throw in all kinds of things an old lonely person might bring up, like how you're so glad somebody finally called and how much you enjoy talking to them. And throw in a sob story about your poodle.

When I get home I just tell them it's time to go. It was soooo nice to talk to you, young man. Goodbye now. Call back soon.

And I rejoice that they weren't able to scam an elderly person during the time I had them on the phone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon