Reply to post: Re: Meanwhile, they are telling me to test the beta of the new chromEDGE in Windows 7.

Microsoft takes us to 2004 with new Windows 10 so you don't mistake it for Server 2003

KSM-AZ
WTF?

Re: Meanwhile, they are telling me to test the beta of the new chromEDGE in Windows 7.

Actually WSL kind of reminds me of Wine, only backwards. After dinking with Cygwin-X (And some other BS for a fiver from the "Store") and this and that for a few months, I finally got something that mostly worked. Then my brain unclogged and I loaded Kubuntu. . . Which I'm typing this on.

The esoteric driver support is the Linux problem. Intel (for one) is notorious for buggy chipsets with lot's of software/driver work-arounds... Have been since the 8085 days, timing specs were pure fantasy. This OneMix-2S required a dozen manual tweaks, and it still won't wake up a USB-C hub to the external display more than 50% of the time. Windows is not that much better. Hit's around 85% but hey, Linux sucks, Windows is awesome. If the vendors would just publish the API's for their hardware some hack would have it 100% on Linux in days, but reverse engineering is painful and time consuming.

Frankly though the other comment hit the nail. It's office/calendaring and AD/SSO cruft (The latter being a constantly moving target, GRRR modern auth grr, but I shant digress) that drives business. MS support is as abysmal as the rest, but no CIO ever got called out for buying microsoft, and of course this year they jacked our licensing 8% (E3, K9999 anyone?). If they keep it up at that pace there will definitely be a move at point, as the other 90% of Desktop activity is web these days, and for most of that, I can run Chromebooks, or BSD, or Linux, or even DEX on my Samsung Note 9. The latter is about 80% there, 'bout like WSL...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon