Reply to post: I may be wrong..

Gospel according to HPE: And lo, on the 32,768th hour did thy SSD give up the ghost

Unicornpiss
Alert

I may be wrong..

But I'd bet a few dollars or pounds that they are Intel drives. We had a number of Intel drives that never got firmware updates fail (in high-end workstations) within weeks of each other a few years back. The ones that did get updated kept going. They were quietly replaced by the PC manufacturer, but it soured me on Intel SSDs. And again, I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if lessons weren't learned by Intel. Of course we had a smaller rash of Samsung failures around that period too. Really, the only ones I have no complaints about were made by Crucial/Micron. I'm not a marketing shill, I swear, but Crucial's stuff has had a much lower failure rate for us than anyone else. And a few that were unresponsive were recovered by whatever internal failsafe that is built in, simply by hooking them to power and letting them sit for a while.

If someone knows the manufacturer of these drives for sure (or if I'm just being thick and missed it somehow in the article), I'd be curious to know.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon