Reply to post: Re: Yawn

Internet world despairs as non-profit .org sold for $$$$ to private equity firm, price caps axed

Da Weezil

Re: Yawn

In the case of the charity I volunteer with, every penny that goes to the money grubbing venture capitalist scum (or thier supporters) is money that DOESN'T go to the core function of providing Hospice care to the terminally ill, now I can understand that to those to whom "profit is all" this may seem a waste, but the fact is that not all "not for profits" are really "businesses" that abuse the Not For Profit status, but dont tar all charities with this same brush. Excess profits extorted in this manner is really against the spirit of the domain.

Maybe we need a new TLD purely for the (registered) charitable sector, and abandon .org to the venture capitalists hopefully to sink without trace. The USA has a real problem with its language usage - "Not For Profit" is a clear example. Its a shame that so many organisations that are not "disguised profit businesses" are caught up in this, and it is easily fixable with a TLD for purely charitable organisations that are registered with a regulator as they have to be in the UK, and I'm sure other conutries have a similar system.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon