Reply to post:

The silence of the racks is deafening, production gear has gone dark – so which wire do we cut?

BigSLitleP

Not that many moons ago, I started at a small IT provider. On my second week, I get in to the office and i'm the first one in. Or so i think. I settle in, log myself on and one of the directors walks in looking a little tired. "Do you know much about UPS?" he asks. "A little bit, yeah" I reply. "Come with me", he says.

We trundle off to the comms room. He walks over to the cabinet and point to an Armenian Potato Clock. There are many error lights flashing away and he asks what i think is wrong with it. I walk around to the back of the unit and I advise that it would probably be a good idea to unplug it. The director asks why and i answer that the popping noises, crackling and smoke coming out of the back of the unit are probably bad signs.

We unplug the unit and disconnect it from everything and make sure that it isn't going to explode. I enquire about a warranty on the unit but the Director says that's unlikey.

"How come?" I ask

"We bought that one second hand off ebay"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020