Reply to post: Re: Selective deafness

Complete with keyboard and actual, literal, 'physical' escape key: Apple emits new 16" $2.4k+ MacBook Pro

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Selective deafness

How can a school mandate the choice of laptop

A number of them do - my nephew's school, for instance, mandates a Macbook because it's doing a lot of music work, and a Macbook is there easier than ending up with the eternal faffing around to get drivers to work - cuts down on support and the applications are cheaper.

IMHO the whole debate is more religion than fact anyway. I switched to 16GB a few years back as minimum standard, and despite doing a fair amount of graphics work I have yet to hit swap so I don't see the need for upgrades there. Batteries - taking a 2nd battery is as heavy as the power supply, so pointless (although I do appreciate it if it's easily replaced - in general I keep a laptop around 4 years) but that depends on my specific use of the machine.

I use Macs a lot because they save me a massive amount of time. Yes, Apple does stupid things too (only beta 2 of Catalina is starting to be usable) but in the main it is still ahead of Windows in security and usability, and I can run all the FOSS tools I want on it as well, giving me the best of both worlds.

Your use, however, may differ. That's why an intelligent discussion would include your use parameters. Do you need large amounts of time off power (battery). Do you run lots of parallel tasks or stuff that eats memory (must be Adobe or Microsoft software then), then maybe you'd need more RAM. Your use is not everyone's use, your needs are not equal to everyone's needs, your prefrences are your own but recognise them as such - just stay with the facts instead of religion.

That said, still glad we managed to fully ditch MS software :).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon