Reply to post: Re: Selective deafness

Complete with keyboard and actual, literal, 'physical' escape key: Apple emits new 16" $2.4k+ MacBook Pro

Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: Selective deafness

The school sent all Year 1 parents a form saying students must have a laptop. They have a sole supplier who sold 3 models of laptop; all Dell, a Celeron, Pentium and a Core i3. Specced and selected together with the school. All laptops include a mandatory service subscription for the in-school service desk staffed by the vendor, who takes care of updates, PW resets and any soft- or hardware problems the kids may have. This service costs €300 for 3 years. Whilst parents can technically choose not to buy a laptop from this vendor, if they do not they will not have any support at school, and if the child has a laptop problem which prevents them doing their work, it’s their problem to get it fixed and if assignments are missed as a result, the child will not receive credit or allowance for IT related problems. The service desk will not support laptops brought from home. As I’m out of the country 2 weeks every month and my wife is not IT literate, we felt we had no real choice but to buy the laptop to get the service. It’s a piece of shit, we paid through the nose for it and I’m deeply disturbed by the blackmail/high pressure selling tactics used - fact remains, the school mandated the purchase.

Clear enough for you?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon