Reply to post: Re: Why a 3D printed gun?

Judge shoots down Trump admin's efforts to allow folks to post shoddy 3D printer gun blueprints online

Peter2 Silver badge

Re: Why a 3D printed gun?

it's for people who either live in countries with strict gun control, or who are prevented from buying a gun legally and lack the underground connections to obtain one illegally.

Mmm. I take it that you don't realise that while you can buy ammunition over the counter with your groceries in wallmart in the good ol USA this is possibly the only country in the world with such lax laws on owning weapons or ammunition?

If I want to buy ammunition in the UK then I have to produce my license (which says how much ammunition I am allowed to buy) and the fact that you have bought ammunition is logged. Since pistols have been restricted to law enforcement use only for over 20 years since the sort of nut like your trying to arm decided to massacre a bunch of school kids, nobody can buy 9mm ammunition in the UK since the only 9mm weapons are owned by the police and armed forces, who have their own supply chains. Firearms dealers therefore simply don't stock 9mm ammo; there's no reason to possess it. Your 3D printed gun is therefore utterly useless since you can't 3D print the ammunition.

Ignoring the fact it's utterly useless, let's assume that it did work, just for the sake of argument. In the US, it's legal to carry weaponry openly in some places, and concealed in others. This is not the situation elseware on the planet.

Carrying a firearm in a public place in the UK would lead to extremely severe consequences since the only people carrying weapons in any manner are doing so illegally. If somebody spots you with it then they simply don't mention so, phone the police and report it. The police then simply deploy reasonable force against the hapless idiot, which is an armed response unit. Because our police don't need to be armed normally, given that nobody is. That means that basically any armed threat gets dealt with by what you'd probably consider a couple of SWAT units, armored and carrying at least SMG's if not assault rifles and a helicopter to provide top cover to prevent an armed nut escaping with weapons in public.

This "liberator" stands zero possibility of penetrating the police armour, and so is pointless unless the plan is to art terrorists and people wanting to randomly shoot up crowds. Don't kid yourself; this is an American absurdity designed for the home market. It makes no sense anywhere else.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon