Reply to post: Re: Selective deafness

Complete with keyboard and actual, literal, 'physical' escape key: Apple emits new 16" $2.4k+ MacBook Pro

jeffty

Re: Selective deafness

I'm in the same boat as TonyJ and Hans 1.

Bought a 2012 MBP new with 4GB RAM and a 500GB HDD, as my software/storage needs have expanded, I've upgraded it to 16Gb RAM, 2TB SSD and 3TB HDD (by replacing the optical drive). A 7 year old laptop still happily chugs along running today's workloads as a result. Original battery still working great, but I can easily swap it out when it fails. There's a reason why this model still sells for £500-700 on ebay used - because it's easily repairable and upgradeable. Also, I can plug in all of my peripherals in on the move without needing a sea of fecking stupid dongles (SD slot, USB ports, NIC, etc).

Whoever is suggesting you carry round external batteries, storage and a dock is an idiot. I don't have to do that with my 7-year old laptop (or a model any of Apples competitors), why should I have to do that just for the Apple equivalent? Also, if I'm blowing £2500+ on a laptop I'd expect it to meet my needs out the box, not need a second bag of peripherals to make up for it's hardware limitations on the move.

Given the physical dimensions of RAM/PCIE storage, there's no reason why these have to be soldered/glued in on the new model other than Apple making a killing from forcing you to pay for both upfront. It's certainly not a devotion to a slimeline device.

I'd have no problem with a Macbook Pro that's slightly thicker and heavier if it was easily serviceable and had all the connectivity I needed. Hell, I'd actually pay more. But until they reach that point, I'll pass.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon