Reply to post: Re: Selective deafness

Complete with keyboard and actual, literal, 'physical' escape key: Apple emits new 16" $2.4k+ MacBook Pro

TonyJ

Re: Selective deafness

“ -removable/replaceable battery” - usbc battery.

Well sure why not. I mean a) carry yet something else around with you and b) when the battery degrades to the point it doesn't hold a charge, the laptop becomes less than useful.

“ upgradeable RAM” - likely to buy a new machine before you need to do that.

Utter bollocks. I bought a MacBook Pro in late 2011. It was an off the shelf model because I wasn't in a position to wait for a customised one. Because it had to run various VM's etc, the first two things I did were upgrade the RAM to the maximum 16GB it would take (non-Apple, but by the same manufacturer [Hynix, if I recall correctly] and at literall 1/4 of the price of Apple parts. The second thing I did...

“ ditto SSD” - thunderbolt external disk.

...was to remove the superdrive and put the HDD in its place, followed by putting in an SSD (again, booting multple demo / lab VMs benefits hugely from even a slow SSD. But yeah, let us carry yet another piece of kit around. You must have a big old bag, or are you purposefully fogetting that laptops tend to be carried around?

“ -useful number of ports” - usbc/thunderbolt dock. These ports are infinitely more useful, plug in the right cable you have the port, be that hdmi, power, 10Gb ethernet, sdcard, whatever you need at the time.

Aaaannddd again with the buy and carry extra kit. Fuck off. I want a laptop I can plug a LAN cable into, for example, or one I can plug a mouse and maybe a USB stick in at the same time.

Currently models have been around for only 3 years.

And the reason I personally never upgraded the 2011 one was because shortly after (2012/13) Apple began soldering everything onto the board. So like the rest of your arguments, you are wrong.

Quit the bullshit anti apple rant because you cannot move on from old inferior technology.

Not like your "just buy a shit load of extra kit to carry rant except yours is actually full of bullshit and innacuracies to spin it to agree with your own twisted pro-Apple narrative.

I LOVED my 2011 MBP. It was, as I've said before, one of the best Windows laptops I've ever owned. The hardware was simply sublime, but just because your use cases don't agree with others' it doesn't automatically invalidate the other ones.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon