Reply to post: Re: "plug-in hybrids, full electric or fuel cell cars"

Gas-guzzling Americans continue to shun electric vehicles as sales fail to bother US car market

Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: "plug-in hybrids, full electric or fuel cell cars"

As a business you can only sell what you offer. As a customer you can only buy what vendors are offering.

A few months ago I thought we might have to go down to one car. Currently hers is a small optional 4WD, mine a 2WD family estate. Living where we do I wouldn't want to rely on 2WD only nor do I want a big SUV and I certainly don't want an electric only* so I looked at the market to see what there was in 4WD family estates and in particular plug-in hybrids. It wasn't reassuring. They all fell into the How Much?!!! price bracket. And as for better MPG I looked up the Subaru non-plugin. Its road tax seemed to be twice what I pay on mine so presumably not very good on MPG either. Fortunately the situation has changed and we'll stick with what we've got for the foreseeable future.

All electric might be OK urban runabouts for those with home parking spaces but for the rest plg-in hybrids have to be the stepping stone to establishing sufficient market to build out sufficient public charging capacity and without sufficient public charging capacity pure EVs are going to remain in their niches. So there's a real need to ensure plug-in hybrids aren't restricted to being top of range.

*Range vs charging times vs availability of charging points.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon