Reply to post: Re: In any case it was good enough to get the job done.

'That roar is terrific... look at that rocket go!' It's been 52 years since first Saturn V left the pad

jelabarre59

Re: In any case it was good enough to get the job done.

I know I've already posted it before to this insistent person (being polite here) that it was *easier* to actually go to the moon than to fake it. Too many independent observers, including plenty that would have had every incentive to expose a hoax. We simply didn't have the technical capability or capacity to fake it, not if observers around the world were picking up the exact same broadcasts, observing the same objects, etc. To fake the video and audio transmissions, especially with their lag times, would have required data storage beyond what even existed at the time. Just because we could stitch Tom Hanks into historical videos 20+ years later does not translate to doing the same in 1969. And even in the 1990's the ability to render real-time was still a long ways off.

And the idea of a wide-scale hoax doesn't work either, because the more people are involved in a hoax/coverup, the more likely someone will let the wrong information out. The Soviets observed the same things we did, and they were the last people who would have cooperated in a coverup. And with all the documentation that came to light after the fall of the USSR, we would have seen documents exposing any cooperation in a hoax. Something as large-scale as a moon-landing hoax would have had too many people participating in it for it to have remained secret.

You would have to even say my own father was part of the hoax/coverup, as he was a technical rep for a company that made instrumentation for the Apollo project, was part of the Apollo1 investigation, and I personally held gauges he was bringing from Cape Canaveral to his office for forensic study.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon