Reply to post: Re: Many issues with this of course..

When the IT department speaks, users listen. Or face the consequences

teamonster

Re: Many issues with this of course..

I've worked in IT for 20 years. Never EVER underestimate entitled stupidity.

I was working supporting Packard Bell computers sold through Dixon's Stores Group to the great unwashed British public when computers were just becoming popular. We were incensed one day to read an article in the computer press about how techs 'make up stories about stupid users' for their own amusement. CD coffee cup holders, foot pedal mice and unplugged computers were all just the equivalent of tall sea-faring tales for IT people. Nobody could REALLY be THAT stupid, right?

Amongst a great amount of 'gnashing of teeth', each of us recounted our own collection of real stupidity to that would turn the hair of the journalist whiter than a sheet. I used to work with the guy who took the coffee cup holder call. The user was not apologetic or cowed when he found out what the CD tray really did, he was still effing and blinding and threatening to sue DSG and everyone in the call centre for his stupidity. I myself have been guilty of underestimating this as well. I had foolishly assumed that my work mate was the source of all cup-holder calls. I have since spoken to an American techy who has also taken one of these. The thought that there are probably many such calls in the history of IT support is a depressing thing to realise.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon