Reply to post: Are they better than the alternative?

Just take a look at the carnage on Notepad++'s GitHub: 'Free Uyghur' release sparks spam tsunami by pro-Chinese

9Rune5
Pint

Are they better than the alternative?

Islam isn't exactly known for its tolerance towards e.g. the LGBT communities. Nor has that religion promoted equal rights to any noticeable degree. It is my impression that muslim dominated territories are quite oppressive and generally just bad places to live.

My impression of the Middle East is that we have pushed out some nasty dictators only to have them replaced by religious zealots who are ten times worse.

So, by fighting the Chinese authorities, are we doing anyone a favor?

I found a blog entry that seems to be a bit on the fence (https://www.soas.ac.uk/blogs/study/queer-uyghur-china/):

"Reyhan’s research highlights this “minority stress” faced by queer Uyghur individuals, who feel discriminated against by Han Chinese and oppressive state policies, as well as a frustration at the closed-mindedness of their “heterosexual” Uyghur communities."

So before cheering for these antics, I'd like to know a little bit more about this particular minority and what to expect in case other countries decides to help them.

<- beer because that is probably another thing that they cannot allow in their society. Along with bacon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon