Reply to post:

Boffins blow hot and cold over li-ion battery that can cut leccy car recharging to '10 mins'

jmch Silver badge

"For an all-electric population of cars that means that every parking space at a motorway service station would have to be able to delver that charging current simultaneously"

What, you mean just like when we had an all-hydrocarbon population of cars every parking space at a motorway service station had a fuel pump?

If (and I know it's a fairly large 'if') electric car batteries can really be charged at a similair rate to how fast an ICE car can be topped up with fuel, I would expect that a motorway charging station for an all-electric car population would need the same number of charging bays as they now have fuel pumps, ie about a dozen.

Realistically, even with super-fast charging I still think a full charge (ie 500+ kms worth) would take around double what it takes to fill a tank. But then again, currently no-one has a drip-feed fuel pump at home they can fill their tank with overnight either. So anything from 12-20 super-fast chargers per charging station should be plenty. Certainly much much less than "every parking space"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon