Reply to post: such bollocks is spoken about this subject

Median speeds for UK 5G four times faster than 4G, but still way behind US and South Korea

anthonyhegedus Silver badge

such bollocks is spoken about this subject

Where I live, in Brentwood, Essex, about 25 miles from London, there is no signal whatsoever on EE and O2 - not even 2G - most of the time. A year ago I was wandering up the road to get MFA texts on O2 because they don't transmit texts using the wificalling system (EE do, so I switched). But OpenWretch have devised a sort of botched fibre connection to my house involving a copper connection to a street cabinet so I can get 80/20 broadband in my house. I believe they call it Fibre anyway.

Seriously though, the speed is not relevant - nobody 'downloads' a movie to their phone. We stream them. We need a reasonably fast CONSISTENT connection. There is no actual real-world use-case (yet) for 1Gbps on a phone, But there is a use-case for a solid 50Mbps connection that stays at 50 while you are in a train going cross-country. There is a use-case for 200Mbps at home (just about). The whole point of 5G isn't the instantaneous speed, it's the high quality of service for many people at once. 4G can slow down in crowded areas (mind you, I got 200Mbps at Gatwick airport recently), and 5G is supposed to slow down LESS.

Until we start actually being able to maintain a reliable connection during typical journeys and at different locations, people are going to get bored of these hyperbolae!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon