Reply to post: growing our status as a global science superpower

Your kids will be glad a UK government-funded robot will be changing your nappy and not them

SVV

growing our status as a global science superpower

Even by the usual laughable standards of these sort of announcements, this one was utterly embarassing. Why do I need an "automated personal shopper" when I can order stuff online and have it delivered to my door today? Did someone imagine a droid trundling off down the street for a couple of miles, going to a supermarket, and trundling back again laden with carrier bags? How did that get past the "instant rejection" phase? Why do they need to have a robot to compare mortgage deals when I can do it right now on my phone using a website? Why do the over 75s need to look up mortgage deals anyway?

Even when they develop the droid that can put a ready meal in the microwave and deliver it (a fairly easy task), how depressing a life would this be? The point of a lot of care work isn't that a machine couldn't do it, but the fact the person being cared for finds the human contact they get to be the high point of their day.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon