Reply to post: The system is designed around failure and blame

We're late and we're unreliable but we won't invalidate your warranty: We're engineers!

Warm Braw

The system is designed around failure and blame

The house I moved into a couple of years ago was around 3 years old. One of the toilets didn't flush. A strange patch of water would accumulate periodically on the bathroom floor. A couple of pipes to the boiler were leaking, the hob ignition was wired to the electric oven circuit and the oven to the hob supply. The TV aerial was lashed to a rafter with gaffer tape, pointing in the wrong direction, and part of the guttering leaked as it had been cut too short, but left in place anyway. I recently wanted to get the unvented hot water system checked over and several people offered to do it despite not having the legally-required certificate.

When my elderly parents moved into their last house, the electric sparks (and I don't mean the former electrician, though he deserved it) could be seen through the plaster on the walls if you leaned on them.

Some tradesmen are very competent, but a lot of them are significantly worse than a patient amateur. You don't typically get to find that out until it's too late. It's worse with software - most of the stuff that comes embedded in your typical electronics device is way below the quality you could produce yourself. Everything - whether it's building a house or manufacturing products - is acquired at the lowest price and outsourced as far as possible to avoid responsibility.

The insurance thing is exactly the same - pushing the problem to someone else. If there isn't a tradesman or ""engineer" involved, there's no-one to sue (though, good luck getting any money from any of the people who've offered to tarmac my drive) so you simply don't get the money.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon