Reply to post: Re: Not quite

Traffic lights worldwide set to change after Swedish engineer saw red over getting a ticket

Drew Scriver

Re: Not quite

In the US, it depends on the state what a driver must/should do or not do when the light changes to amber.

The Virginia traffic code, for instance, states that one should stop only if it is *not* safe to continue. Quite the opposite of other states. Curiously, the Virginia (government-issues) driving manual has this wrong. It also refers to the middle light as "yellow", which legally speaking is also incorrect.

For those who are interested:

------------------------

§ 46.2-833. Traffic lights; penalty.

Steady amber indicates that a change is about to be made in the direction of the moving of traffic. When the amber signal is shown, traffic which has not already entered the intersection, including the crosswalks, shall stop if it is not reasonably safe to continue, but traffic which has already entered the intersection shall continue to move until the intersection has been cleared.

------------------------

To make it even more interesting, law enforcement officers often are also unfamiliar with this specific clause.

To be clear, I am not offering legal advice so don't come after me if an officer disagrees with me (and the law). Some advice you should follow: do accept any ticket for "running a yellow light" - but do also exercise your right to fight it in court.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon