Reply to post: Re: I'm not surprised

Tinfoil-hat search engine DuckDuckGo gifts more options, dark theme and other toys for the 0.43%

zuckzuckgo Silver badge

Re: I'm not surprised

Apple has a huge financial incentive to track you. To maintain their stock valuation, they need strong year over year profit growth. Phone sales are approaching saturation so the profits will have to come from somewhere else. They are expanding into services and finance. You can't provide credit card, navigation and other personalized services without tracking the user.

Apple also has a history of keeping long standing security flaws under wraps, relying on their walled garden for security. Problem with that it means the black hats may be exploiting the flaws long before the white hats can develop remedies.

Google has a strong incentive to keep your information private. They make their money through ad services. The value of those services depends on them knowing things about you that the advertisers don't. Your information are their crown jewels. This is where Google differs from companies like Facebook, which allows outside organizations direct access to your data.

But Google and Apple are just companies, they can change management, lie, make mistakes, have dishonest employees. So I don't trust Google any more than Apple.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon