Reply to post: Re: Set a date, and stick to it.

Sod 3G, that can go, but don't rush to turn off 2G, UK still needs it – report

AVee

Re: Set a date, and stick to it.

So? Seeing 2G switched of is not on my bucket-list, so it can stay for my lifetime ;-)

We can just keep 2G running as the baseline mobile technology. And at the same time 3G can be phased out as 4G takes over. Much like FM radio is still there even though DAB exists and will be replaced with DAB+ in due time. Like FM radio 2G is simply the lowest common denominator, and will be for quite some time.

As it it the cost of replacing a 2G only devices is huge, not just phones but all sorts of connected devices (smart meters are mentioned, but there a many more like burglar alarms, alarm buttons for elderly, loads of sensor equipment...) That will all need to be replaced. However, 3G devices (and there are far less of those) can mostly fall back to 2G. (And those that can't probably will actually benefit from an upgrade to 4G making it an easier sell.)

And to be honest, I doubt providers will want to switch of 2G because they are still making good money of all those devices out there. Forcing those customers into replacing equipment which is all over the country isn't going to go down well. A lot of them will start taking a serious look at possible alternatives (like Sigfox and LoRaWan) if they need to replace their hardware anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon