Reply to post: Re: As I've said before

Help! I bought a domain and ended up with a stranger's PayPal! And I can't give it back

ibmalone

Re: As I've said before

https://www.royalfree.nhs.uk/contact-us/ 020 7794 0500? Seems fairly normal.

Though I'm not sure there's anything official about the number groupings. My mobile bill does 5-6, but I think I've seen them all run together in the past.

The evolution of my parents' Northern Irish number over the years, starting when area code mattered for pricing local vs long distance in the UK. The last 6 x remain unchanged throughout:

02xx xxx xxx : area code is the 02xx bit, so you could write 02xx xxxxxx

012xx xxx xxx : 1 inserted to all UK area codes prior to the introduction of the new 02 block.

028 9x xxx xxx : NI area codes all rolled into 028 (same time as London becomes 020), the local number prefixed with 9x, to make 9xxxxxxxx the number.

028 9xxx xxxx : my dad insists this is the way it's always been parsed, but I'm pretty sure it was never 02 xxxx xxxx...

Writing London numbers with the last four digits seems to have been a thing back to at least the early 60s. If you look at old posters, like the ones buried under Euston station, you see numbers given in the form "FLEET 4000", which seems very Passport to Pimlico now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon