Reply to post: Re: Yes please...

UK culture sec hints at replacing TV licence fee, defends encryption ban proposals and her boss in Hacker House inquiry

Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Yes please...

Their collection techniques are disgusting, like a dodgy bailiff, but worse, as at least the bailiff is owed something.

They work under the assumption that people think they have powers in law that other companies don't.

They don't

Just as with any random company that hounds you for payment for something you don't owe...:

Fact: You don't need to reply.

Fact: You don't need to declare online or in writing that you don't need a license.

Fact: You don't need to let them into your property (unless they arrive with the police and a warrant)

Fact: You can ban them from your property.

Fact: Someone charged them a £40 processing fee to deal with their email. When they didn't pay, he took them to small claims court and won!

I only ever had/needed a license when I was a student. For years I'd just ignore their unsolicited letters, and write abusive replies to their followup abusive harrassing letters.

Having said that, I guess I'm getting old and complient, because for the last few years I sign the online declaration like a good little citizen.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon