Reply to post: Re: BBC != Netflix

UK culture sec hints at replacing TV licence fee, defends encryption ban proposals and her boss in Hacker House inquiry

Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: BBC != Netflix

I can't speak for other regions but Wales Today does a reasonable job in Wales, and they even have reports from the Gogs who are usually ignored in these things. BBC Wales also supplies news to S4C which can be quite parochial but does therefore cover national and international stories reasonably well, with access to the full output of BBC news and Welsh-speaking correspondents in some surprising places.

New music? I have to say that each time I turn on 6 Music I hear something I've not heard before. May not be to my taste, but it's there. Similarly with Radio 1 Xtra and Radio 1 late evenings sometimes, not that I listen a huge amount to those. Radio 3 did tone-down a bit when Classic FM came along in the 1990s, but it still has a far wider range of music and comment than its only competitor and I still get a bit annoyed that when I turn Classic FM on it's often a bit like listening to a "pop" music station where someone has gone through their CDs, singled out all the movements under 6 minutes and shuffled them into an oft-repeated completely disjointed playlist, rather like any one of a number of commercial "pop" music stations.

As for the BBC's oft-complained-about political "bias", the only thing I would say here is that any such organisation that seems to get equal numbers of complaints from both sides of any argument must be doing something right.

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon