Reply to post: Re: Backups

Think your VMware snapshots are all good? Guess again if you're on Windows Server 2019

Nate Amsden

Re: Backups

You apparently misread my post.. My comment regarding 20 years had to do with the need for offsite backups. Ransomware doesn't take down a facility it just encrypts data.

Snapshots certainly can help recover from such an event depending on how they are used. Example is if ransomware encrypts a file share that data is easily recoverable provided you catch it before your snapshot policy starts removing the last snapshots before the ransomware hit.. I recall reading some ransomware attacking windows VSS. i should clarify when I talk about storage its about purpose built systems generally those don't run windows.

Snapshots aren't for everything certainly but they can be a powerful tool. I just wish NAS appliances had the ability to do read write snapshots for data testing(netapp does I believe not aware of any other vendor that can)

As for security intrusions into the network the best policy for that in my opinion is OFFLINE BACKUPS. In addition to whatever dudupe appliance or cloud backup or whatever.. storing the data where it requires physical human interaction to get to it(best example is rotating tape that is physically removed from the drive) .. make sure the intruder cannot wipe out your data because they compromised user or admin credentials.

I remember at a previous job that had everything in a public cloud, realizing that with my admin credentials it would literally be just a few commands(probably in a bash for loop) to wipe out all data and all backups. Now think of the news articles where cloud credentials have been leaked online. So keep a copy of your backups offline if you want to protect against that kind of scenario.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon