Reply to post: Re: A good TV would be one that doesn't want to connect itself to the internet.

Welcome to the World Of Tomorrow, where fridges suffer certificate errors. Just like everything else

Kiwi
Big Brother

Re: A good TV would be one that doesn't want to connect itself to the internet.

ultimately, I don't see it as a problem until the moment when smart tellies will INSIST they "have to" be connected to the internet to actually work. But, in general, I find cries of horror in this field greatly exaggerated.

Not too many months back there were some very good WiFi signal analysers for Android.

Then there was an update to some part of Android (leastways what my tablet's got). Now, for those same analysers to work, they MUST have "location services" turned on.

I personally cannot see how having GPS turned on will change the signal strength of the WiFi or which channels my neighbours use. I can see that such information would be of great "user-experience-enhancing""[1] interest to Slurpy McSlurpface et al.

It's coming. Connect or face reduced functionality. And there's the old "security updates" timeout (eg what IIRC MS has done with home W10) - don't get updates then your TV/etc stops working after a while, even if never connected to anything other than a STB/Pi etc

(Reminds me, I think I have an old backup .apk floating around - another app for the remove/install-from-old/never-again-update list?)

[1] Ie "we steal more of your personal info"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon