Reply to post: Re: KPIs

Lies, damn lies, and KPIs: Let's not fix the formula until we have someone else to blame

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: KPIs

Years ago I worked on a hell desk and Manglement decided we should follow up the faults we cleared with a satisfaction survey... except they were too cheapskate to employ an outside company to do the surveys and we would have to do them ourselves... "would you like to take part in a survey?"... "F%$k off, your $H&* service means I'm half a day's work behind!!"

We happened to have a friendly regular 'customer' who said just fill it in yourselves and, provided it's honest I'll back you up. At the end of the year we got an award (only a certificate!) for the number of surveys submitted (near 100% with the same name)... proving that no one, apart from us, actually analysed any of them for problem areas or better ways of working, and were just looking at the numbers.

Having moved on from helldesks, my faith in customer surveys was not improved more recently when I discovered that, with KPI, picking a 'neutral' score of 5 for "I don't have an opinion either way" or "I've never used that service" is far from neutral and I would be flagged as a detractor

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon