Reply to post: Re: Non-issue if I've ever seen one...

How bad is Catalina? It's almost Apple Maps bad: MacOS 10.15 pushes Cupertino's low bar for code quality lower still

Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: Non-issue if I've ever seen one...

Compared to Windows 10 and the multiple updates it has had to pull because of breaking machines I think this is a non-story....

I'm no eulogiser for Microsoft, but it's worth noting that Windows is a general purpose operating system, designed to work on a wide variety of hardware, for multiple manufacturers, at multiple levels of performance, and MacOs is written to run on a tightly controlled set of hardware.

You woudln't expect, for instance, a change to an undocumented API to break a third-party driver for a disk controller, graphics card, BIOS chipset, USB root hub, built-in camera, etc. etc. in a situation where you know all the hardware variations, and can test against them all.

Apple's approach of a tightly-controlled ecosystem should mean that "it just works". It also means that you get a lot less flexibility in what you can use and how you can use it, and you are locked in to what Apple dictates to a greater degree than you would be with another OS. Microsoft aren't entirely innocent when it comes to trying to lock users into their ecosystem either. Guess what? I'm not a fan of that, whoever is doing it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon