Reply to post: Re: Could be useful for us in the West?

China and Russia join to battle 'illegal internet content,' which means what you fear it does

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Could be useful for us in the West?

Re:China's social score

While "credit rating" in western countries approximates how the envisioned "social score" in China, it doesn't have anywhere near the potential reach into private and public information that China are looking to implement. I'm not disputing the additional data for credit ratings exist - I am disputing that the dangers present in Chinas system a significantly greater.

If we look at current trials, Alibaba/Tencent are combining their own data on social interactions and retail transactions with citizens financial details (via their associated banks) and signing contracts with regional governments to combine this information with existing government records about education, employment, health, criminal activities etc. Given the control that China likes to exert over its citizens lives, this data is likely to effect everything about a persons life, including their social interactions over time (i.e. associating with person X will result in a drop in your hard earned social score...)

GPDR controlling how this type of data can be exchanged and providing methods for individuals to limit this in the EU. I accept it won't prevent it, but it will form one part in the defence against a consolidation of financial/health/insurance/retail/government data.

Example ref: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-social-credit-system-explained

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon