Reply to post: Re: Joys of sales people and Outlook 2003

The safest place to save your files is somewhere nobody will ever look

gryphon

Re: Joys of sales people and Outlook 2003

Back when doing BAU I never really had a problem with larger mailboxes on a 'by exception' basis.

I tended to use various tiers and users just had to log a ticket to move with an explanation why. That way I could justify more disks / servers etc. to higher for capacity planning.

More of a problem with Exchange 2003 and even 2010 to some extent was the number of items in the primary folders. For the former there shouldn't be more than 10,000 for Inbox etc. and 5,000 for calendar if I remember correctly. It was really hard to explain to users that they were actually causing a bottleneck for the system because of the high counts and that they needed to 'folderise' stuff.

The biggest problem is that e-mail use and message sizes exploded exponentially over the years and it is always hard to get CAPEX for BAU type stuff rather than projects when the initial 'guesstimates' of usage were way off.

For example in one company everything over 6 months was archived to an Enterprise Vault equivalent. The vault containing about 7 years worth of Exchange 2003 data, which also included years worth of migrated Exchange 5.5 data came to about 4TB I think. The separate vault for Exchange 2010 about 5 years after we upgraded to it was on the order of 16TB, and that was de-duped data. The company numbers had also been vastly reduced compared to the EX2003 days.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon