Reply to post: Re: If you MUST use SM

Twitter: No, really, we're very sorry we sold your security info for a boatload of cash

Lee D Silver badge

Re: If you MUST use SM

Just buy a 07 VoIP number or similar... let them spam that to oblivion, rather than have to pee about with extra SIMs, phones, etc. Best thing I ever did was buy a 4G router and SIM package for it - portable Internet connection without having to rely on other people's wifi, use it as my home Internet when I'm at home, and it gives me a real-but-throwaway phone number for people who insist they need one, which I can access the texts to if I really want to (via an app for the router) but which doesn't ping, bing or notify me in any way otherwise.

Unique email - I agree. I own a domain and use a unique "username"@ for every service. Anyone spams that service, the email gets blocked. It costs a pittance, but all lands in the same (unadvertised) GMail inbox at the end.

Unique password - no. Just have a set of throwaway passwords that you use for anything that contains the same level of information. If you Twitter has no more information on it than, say, your Reddit, they can have the same password - if someone gets one, they have access to the same information as the other anyway. The username is already unique, so the password won't get re-used with that account name to try to cross into services anyway.

Other than that, the paranoia isn't worth the effort.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon