Reply to post: An interactive map of the border

Virtual inanity: Solution to Irish border requires data and tech not yet available, MPs told

roomey

An interactive map of the border

I thought this was interesting, then I clicked on a few of the yellow dots and it was suddenly harrowing.

The sheer amount of violence that was happening here even 20 odd years ago. I remember as a child being scared of the border, almost every day on the news you would here about another bomb, another body, another punishment beating.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/brexit/borderlands/the-border

I think there are many of us Irish who are genuinely hurt. Not actually at the Brexit vote, or the UK leaving the EU. To be honest I think most non-farmers don't care much either way. But, what seems like the total and utter disregard for the North, the Republic, and the fragile peace is genuinely hurtful. It has shown us just where we stand.

To put this into context, a few years ago my grandfather in law, an old strong man who worked on boats all his life, an old fashioned man who was not one to show emotion, cried with happiness the day the Queen visited Cork. He said he thought he would never see the day. I'm not sure if that visit happened today the same (well he's passed away but you get my point), and I think that is a shame.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon