Reply to post: Re: Good luck with that

Boris Brexit bluff binds .eu domains to time-bending itinerary

Cederic Silver badge

Re: Good luck with that

I too fail to understand your points. Specifically

1 - One reason to leave is to prevent British MPs claiming, "The EU forced this on us." They'll have to accept responsibility for their own idiocy in future. But you fail to explain why David Cameron felt he needed the EU to change in order to implement the policies he advocated the UK should be allowed to have. The EU, if you recall, told him to fuck off, something switched many people towards voting against EU membership.

2 - The ECJ is part of the EU. I believe you mean that the ECHR isn't part of the EU.

3 - I strongly suspect that many people wish to leave the EU and still remain signatories of the European Convention on Human Rights, subject to rulings from the European Court of Human Rights. I'm not however sure why you bring up this matter in this discussion.

4 - All British laws are European laws. My understanding (which may well be wrong) is that the EU doesn't make laws, it agrees regulations which are implemented as national laws. I would however like to highlight the Lisbon Treaty as something so horribly wrong that Blair didn't dare allow the British people the promised referendum whether to accept it.

5 - WTO terms seem perfectly adequate for the UK's trade with the US, so why not Europe too? I fear WTO terms are being terribly misrepresented. It is also very quick and easy to agree key elements of trade (e.g. on medicines, agricultural products on the island of Ireland and security information) without needing a long winded and full blown free trade agreement.

6 - Could you please articulate why you disagree with multiple lawyers on this matter? It would be lovely if you could also explain why the Good Friday Agreement couldn't, if required, be changed to accommodate any minor incompatibility (that nonetheless doesn't appear to exist), given it's already been changed since originally signed.

Maybe I just don't understand anything.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon