Reply to post: Re: The reason that I did not subscribe to BBC Sounds

BBC said it'll pull radio streams from TuneIn to slurp more of your data but nobody noticed till Amazon put its foot in it

Barrie Shepherd

Re: The reason that I did not subscribe to BBC Sounds

This BBC Sounds fracas caused me to do the abnormal thing, and I went and read the Privacy Policy to find out what they were slurping. I was very surprised to read some of the content at;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/usingthebbc/privacy/privacy-policy/

Go down to section c & d and you find that they automatically collect date across all your devices, even if you are NOT logged into your BBC account. It seems they apparently collect data from;

your computer

your mobile

your TV

your tablet

your voice-enabled device

collecting;

IP (internet protocol) address

device ID

app ID

vendor ID

advertising ID

Presumably collating this to your DOB, Address and email stored in your BBC ID account.

The worse thing is in Section c where they tell you they monitor, even if you are not logged in, your use of other APPS to see if you mention the BBC. So if you say something about the BBC on Twitter they will collect your Twitter handle and associate it with your BBC ID and any other data they have slurped from you.

They also share some data with Crapita TV Licensing - which when the BBC ID thing started I thought they said they would not.

Seems that the BBC have become an associate of GCHQ!

About time the Information Commissioner had a look at this invasion of my privacy - there can be no justification to collect and collate this quantity of personal data - and only from UK residents apparently.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon