Reply to post: Re: BBC Sounds App

BBC said it'll pull radio streams from TuneIn to slurp more of your data but nobody noticed till Amazon put its foot in it

ChrisC Silver badge

Re: BBC Sounds App

The fact that it does at least work is what persuaded me to rate it 2* on the play store. However, the fact that it does so in a less useable way than the iPR app is one of the reasons why so many of still don't rate it as an even being average let alone in any way good.

On top of that, the use of a smaller and less contrasty typeface makes it harder to read the text content compared with the clarity of the typeface used in iPR - I appreciate the Beeb are trying to encourage a new generation of younger listeners to try out what BBC Radio has to offer, but this shouldn't be at the expense of those of us in the later age brackets who are suffering to a greater or lesser extent the age-related loss of visual acuity and for whom the new UI is therefore genuinely harder to use.

And on top of everything is the obsoleting of thousands of older Android and iOS devices which are still perfectly capable of running iPR, but which are not supported at all by Sounds. Now, if the Beeb would allow us to skip paying the licence fee for a years so we could all go out and buy a Sounds-conpatible device, then that would earn them another star from mem. But just shutting off thousands of listeners and glibly suggesting that they can simply start listening via the website or by upgrading their device, rather than making any obvious effort to try and make Sounds compatible with a wider range of devices, means that Sounds will never, can never, be considered in any way a fit for purpose replacement for iPR.

So no,.I'm not even remotely surprised that 1* reviews continue to roll in for Sounds.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon