Reply to post: Re: ThatOne

In 21st-century tech dystopia, smart TV watches you, warns Princeton privacy prof

Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: ThatOne

"If companies expect ad campaigns to have no, or even negative results, they obviously won't pay for them anymore."

I wish you were right. However, I disagree because the economies of scale still make it worthwhile. I NEVER answer my phone unless it's a number I recognize, yet every evening I get 10-20 robocalls mostly from the same handful of "numbers". The call volume hasn't decreased in over a year. Also, I almost NEVER watch any cable program when it is broadcast. I record them with my Tivo and use its skip button to fast forward through or completely skip commercial breaks. I only use my Roku for HBO (no commercials except for their own programming) or ESPN for out-of-market sporting events. I dislike using Roku for anything other than HBO because, unlike my Tivo, one is not able to FF or otherwise bypass commercials AFAIK. Therefore, I am only "interacting with advertisement" on a very limited basis because that's when I get more scotch/let the dog (or myself) go pee/etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon