Reply to post: BBc been trying to alienate viewers for a while

BBC said it'll pull radio streams from TuneIn to slurp more of your data but nobody noticed till Amazon put its foot in it

tiggity Silver badge

BBc been trying to alienate viewers for a while

BBC news been on a long decline (miss Eddie Mair subtle wit & skewering of interviewees, though at least clueless on anything sciece related JH finally gone from R4 now)

I used to watch a bit of BBC3 content when it was on Freeview,they had a few OKish comedies / comedy dramas, then it became online only and I have never watched any BBC3 content since.

I go online, but will not be watching "TV" online as therss more interseting things to do on computer than watch TV.

.. My TV consumption is mainly the cliche of tired at the end of the day slump on the sofa and see if anything is on to amuse / interest me briefly before I go to bed (occasional content recorded on PVR for later viewing, mainly films I never saw on first release and have finally made their way to freeview, so if any PVR content will watch a bit of that rather than channel hop)

Then this week I had rare experience of trying to consume BBC TV online. I was working at the home computer but fancied streaming the world athletics champs so I could watch women's 100m final live, so went to BBC site and it wanted me to sign up to iPlayer with an email address to watch the live sport .. so I just walked downstairs & turned on TV for a couple of minutes rather than give PII of email address.

Partner does use iPlayer (don't know their credentials if anyone wonders why did not use them to sign in "above"), but partner gets really irritated at all the trailers that they have to skip through at start of content view (as navigating iPlayer to find the content they want has already exposed them to lots of in your face "highlight" content the BBC wants to promote, while making easy search for just what you want very much a secondary function)

Mainly consume BBC radio on radio (FM or DAB depending on reception) so happily not had to deal with dubious sounds app.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon