Reply to post: Re: Could we have an oversized Marker

Baby alert! Japan Air lets passengers book seats far away from screaming abdabs

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Could we have an oversized Marker

I'd be quite happy to pay based on the "loading weight" of my party i.e. a base charge per seat and perhaps an assumption that a passenger + luggage =80kilos (60kg person +20kg baggage) then a charge per kilo above that. A few years ago our party of 3 was challenged when checking in for a Thomas Cook flight (whatever happened to them?) returning from Vancouver because our combined total baggage (including carry-ons) was 1.5kg over the limit. That was the first and only time an airline has taken any interest in the weight of cabin baggage, suitcases were at or below the allowance. "if we don't charge you extra it's not fair on other passengers who have kept within the limit". (I think she was proposing USD20 per kilo, current commercial air freight charges vancouver to uk are under USD4 per kilo.). Only when we started to discard unnecessary surplus like already read paperbacks, newspaper and drinking a bottle of soft drink (this was before the ban on liquids) did she relent. I was inclined to the view that the excess fee might have been payable in cash and might not have reached the coffers of the airline - but perhaps I'm just an old cynic.

It seemed quite absurd when there were some very large passengers whose combined weight + baggage must have been 130kg+ each (we were 2x60kg and one 90kg + 3x~20kg suitcases and a few kilos each of cabin baggage).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon