Reply to post: Re: Privacy? Not on today's internet...

Google takes sole stand on privacy, rejects new rules for fear of 'authoritarian' review

NonSSL-Login

Re: Privacy? Not on today's internet...

Even with all that, there are other things which can give you away, such as HTML5 canvas, timing of video/audio drivers responses (yes its a thing and workable) and one of my biggest bug bears as among all the tricks I do to stay anonymous is screen resolution.

Obviously the site needs it to display but it would be nice if sites didn't get that info and pages could be rendered to your screen resolution without the site knowing what yours actually is.

On top of those methods, I use a fake Browser User agent which changes every 5 minutes. Also help sites that want to send you malware as you get a nice .DMG file when they think you are using Safari on a Mac rather than Firefox on Linux for example. This is where it would be nice again for the site not to know screen resolution so if I fake my browser as Chrome on Android, a screen res of 4k wouldn't give that away + make my http fingerprint so unique.

I'm often telling people a VPN only gives you some privacy from your ISP (who generally won't MITM your connection to remove that protection) and in the UK from the police & 20 odd other services who can see your ICR/Internet connection record for the last 2 years but there is nothing to stop them submitting a request to google for your email account, your search history and probably sites you visited anyway because they had ad-trackers on most of the sites on the internet.

Google are going to fight anything privacy related that stops them tracking you and making money from us so its a surprise they are in an organisation where their single veto can block everything so they can make a privacy groups manifesto less private for citizens. Yes money makes the world go around but just because a company has monetised the internet with adverts, which was created for sharing information, should we structure it so they can continue to profit by stripping our privacy away? I think not.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon