Reply to post: Re: Regardless of which side of the fence you are on.

UK Supreme Court unprorogues Parliament

H in The Hague

Re: Regardless of which side of the fence you are on.

"And since "unelected judges" overruling parliament was one of the main complaints ..."

That sounds rather like hundreds of comments on the BBC website. It appears that quite a few folk are unaware that it was the PM (unelected, appointed by a party with a minority in Parliament) who effectively tried to overrule Parliament by proroguing it.

The Supreme Court has confirmed that, in accordance with UK constitutional law, Parliament is sovereign. The goverment/crown can indeed prorogue Parliament, but only in line with tradition/precedent, i.e. for 5 - 7 days, not 5 weeks.

As the SC states: "As long ago as 1611, the court held that “the King [who was then the government] hath no prerogative but that which the law of the land allows him”."

I get the impression quite a few folk are unaware of the distinction between the legislative (Parliament), the executive (government) and the judiciary (courts). Are they Brits unaware of the constitional law of their country? Or foreign folk who haven't been briefed properly? Am I just a grumpy sod?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon