Reply to post: Re: How many connections is that?

You better get a wiggle on then: BT said to be mulling switching off UK's copper internets by 2027

Tom 7

Re: How many connections is that?

A few years ago my local exchange said it was going FTTC and I was delighted. There was an underground box in car park/gravel store that the engineers referred to as the cabinet and connected around a dozen or so local houses. A fibre was laid in the road and ran up to near where this 'cabinet' was. it was just like an above ground cabinet but lower. When the exchange went FTTC I went from 2.4Mb to 2 on a good day and discovered my cabinet was now at the exchange! The village where the exchange was everyone was on 17Mb anyway and I believe only one person 'upgraded' to 70Mb. The council worked with BT/Open Retch and we were promised wireless connections of 30Mb but for some reason the hardware (the fibre I'd seen going in the road) did not exist. Locally we've all gone 4G EE over the last 6 months or so. Today I was walking the dog down a country lane not far from where the fibre I saw going in to discover a new shiny green cabinet sitting on a concrete plinth! Someone I dont know on the council says they've paid a lot of money for this - despite the fact all the locals have got 18 month contracts and are probably not going to be able to convert over - though even if they did want to they'd probably move to the suppler who couldnt supply cos the fibre this cabinet is now connected to 'wasn't really there'.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon