Reply to post: I'm gonna get so much hate for this..

Stallman's final interview as FSF president: Last week we quizzed him over Microsoft visit. Now he quits top roles amid rape remarks outcry

Kiwi
Angel

I'm gonna get so much hate for this..

Most of you here probably already know this so no details.

I am a victim of rape.

I am a victim of several "sexual assaults".

I refuse to call myself a victim of child sexual abuse (I was 15 and willing), but I could if I wished.

I agree with what RMS said on Marvin Minsky - if Minsky entered that room believing that Virginia Giuffre was both of-age and willing, then Minsky is innocent of any sexual assault in the sense that he did not believe she was under age or unwilling. This happens to a lot of people who engage prostitutes or others, they simply have no clue that the person who has approached them is not actually wanting to be where she (or he) is.

When people try to steal phrases like "sexual assault" and apply it to people who are also victims of someone elses's abuse, they are robbing those of us who are victims. They equate "rape" with un-forced and un-coerced sex, which is an absolutely disgusting thing for people to do. I cannot express how angry I am at these people who do that sort of thing. Epstein committed the crime, and he did not suffer nearly enough. I would much rather he rotted in prison for decades before dying a slow, lingering death then taking the cowards way out like he did. Of course, his victims may have a different view - for a start they know he can never again hurt another person. Some of them probably also cared very deeply for him, despite the abuse, and that will colour their view of his death and the circumstances.

But if Mr Minsky entered that room believing she was willing and legal, he was not guilty. I don't write this to diminish the crimes against Ms Giuffre, but I don't wish to see the blame spread away from where it belongs and the words themselves robbed of their power.

This is perhaps why I have so much anger and hatred towards SJWs. They take other's pain upon themselves, and try to steal from us to increase the attention they so undeservedly lust after. They add nothing of value to this world, and instead add to the pain and confusion others feel, hoping to make themselves look and feel better at the expense of those who really are suffering. They are the lowest of the low and, well, best I stop now.

Mr Stallman, you are in many respects a hero. I stand as a victim of rape and abuse and thank you for taking a stand against those who would rob the rest of us, who would steal the language we use to describe our experience and use it for their own gain. I applaud you for all you have done and tried to do, and for speaking your mind. I wish there was more I could do then offer you these words, and I wish there was more people like you in the world, annoying as you have been to many. You have done more to help others than most of your detractors ever will. Even where I disagree, you were at least trying to do the right thing rather than hiding behind your keyboard doing nothing but criticising others.

May the Lord (regardless of your faith!) guide you into a new role that will make the most exciting day of your life seem dull, and may you go on to much much better things than even you imagined possible.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon