Reply to post: Re: Ageism

Google age discrimination case: Supervisor called me 'grandpa', engineer claims

Erik4872

Re: Ageism

"To date, the company still hasn't figured out what went wrong."

Companies of any size don't do anything their management consultants don't tell them to. The whole "give us millions of dollars and we'll turn you into Facebook" digital transformation consulting package is being peddled around to companies who are scared of startups taking their market share. It's the lazy way out just telling companies to hire only millenials because they're digital natives...people forget that digital natives may be good tech users, but tech builders? Mileage may vary.

The company I work for bought the digital transformation package from their white shoe consultants of choice. One twist that I think is going to help them is this...we tend to be older due to hard-earned industry experience. They seem to be at least giving the older folks a chance and skilling them up rather than firing them and just hiring the first guy with an ironic beard.

You'll get good and bad people of any age. Firing anyone who has tribal knowledge is in vogue, but let's see what happens when the 25 year old unquestioningly working 90+ hours a week wants to settle down and have a life outside of work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon