Reply to post: Re: To publish or not

Stallman's final interview as FSF president: Last week we quizzed him over Microsoft visit. Now he quits top roles amid rape remarks outcry

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: To publish or not

"As I understand it, one of the objections was that his behaviour dissuades women (and possibly other groups) from participating in open source (Free, whatever) software projects. As he's a figurehead, I can see how the FSF might consider that an actual problem."

And who made that objection?

Radical feminists, that's who. Radical feminists who have almost no experience in tech, but have somehow found themselves a niche in "anti-brogrammer" bunk, and use that to shakedown organisations. I dare them to produce even a shred of evidence that this would be the case.

The shakedown is that these organisations are scared to be labelled sexist, and in the process, they hire these people as "consultants", which means they get left alone. It's like a media protection racket.

If you're the sort of woman who won't go into any project in open source, whether that's Linux, ITextSharp or Chromium, because of the *opinions* of one harmless oddball in the field, who has nothing to do with those projects, you're probably too unstable to be let near electricity.

As for Linus Torvalds, the guy can be a bit of an arse, a bit sweary, for sure. Generally on people who deserve it. Don't like it, don't work on Linux. But you can't deny he hasn't succeeded.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon