Reply to post:

Two years ago, 123-Reg and NamesCo decided to register millions of .uk domains for customers without asking them. They just got the renewal reminders...

biscuits99

Here is the discussion I just had with 123-Reg about it.

===============

Hi,

In the email dated 16th September "Renew your services to avoid losing them" it says

"The product(s) listed below are due for renewal. We'll attempt to take payment from your card on or around 16/10/2019 to ensure the continuation of your service. "

The products listed are:

xxxxxx.uk

xxxxxx.uk

Both of these domains are listed as "cancelled" in the control panel, as in they are not due to renew - although the email says they are.

I have attached the email and the control panel image.

Is the email incorrect, or is the control panel incorrect?

==============

Thank you for contacting us regarding this matter.

Under the rights of registration policy, we've registered the .uk version of your .co.uk domains in September 2017, free of charge for 2 years.

Having the fact that the .uk domains are soon to expire, we've recently activated them for you free of charge and set to manual renewal so that you don't have any unwanted charges.

If you wish to keep the .uk domains, you should proceed with the renewal procedure.

If not, you can simply let the domain expire on their own.

Rest assured, the payment won't be taken automatically for the renewal of the .uk domains.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that this might've caused you and your understanding is highly appreciated.

If there’s anything else at all I can do for you please let me know and I’ll be very happy to help.

==========

Please confirm, is the email sent to me incorrect, or is the control panel incorrect?

The email says

"The product(s) listed below are due for renewal. We'll attempt to take payment from your card on or around 16/10/2019 to ensure the continuation of your service. "

=============

Thank you for replying.

Our earlier email stated that these domains would be automatically renewed and that we would attempt to take payment from your account.

This email was auto-generated and in error. These domains will NOT be automatically renewed, and you will not be charged.

The domains are set to manual renewal so they can renew themselves when they reach the expiry date.

I hope this solves your query!

If there’s anything else at all I can do for you please let me know and I’ll be very happy to help.

Kind Regards,

==========

Total scam artists, shocking behaviour.

God know how many people are renewing these domains.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon